Wednesday, December 30

Oh Baby!!

Its hard to belive I am already to the "marriage/baby stage" where it seems like everyone is either getting married or having babies! Well, recently I had several friends get pregnant and I wanted to come up with a meaningful and useful gift for them and their child. I had seen a lot of moms either in the grocery store or out shopping carrying their babies in a sling type carrier. I thought it seemed like a great way to carry your baby with out having to bring a stroller or carrier in and out of the car and keep your baby quietly sleeping close to mommy while getting all her shopping done. I decided to go to my local craft store and find a pattern so I could make one for a friend and her baby, John Sterling. The first pattern I found was a little complicated, with snaps and straps. I had to do some modifications to the pattern but it turned out ok.  My friend said it was very useful and her baby loved being in it. Being in the "marriage/baby stage" of course their was another friend who was also expecting a baby girl, Laura Katherine. I decided to give the sling another try but was able to find a more simple pattern. This pattern only used about 2 1/2 yards of fabric and was really only two peices of material. It was much easier to follow and I was much more please with the results. I used a printed cordiroy peice of fabric and then a cotton peice that had a little strechy feel to it. Hopefully Laura Katherine and her mommy will love their new sling! As you can see from the pictures I did not have a baby to model the sling but I used the next best thing...wine bottles!